EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)
If you notice a pattern in your life of feeling overwhelmed by low self-esteem, anxiety, depression, anger, fear or guilt, then it might be that your current difficulties have their roots in negative life events in your past.
Maybe you have recurring nightmares, flashbacks or intrusive thoughts with vivid images and sensations. Or perhaps the opposite is more familiar to you - feeling numb, switched off or not really connected to people around you.
Repeatedly feeling like this takes its toll on your capacity to cope on your own or within your regular support network. It may be that working with a professional trauma therapy specialist will help you get to the roots of the problem and resolve them.
I offer EMDR therapy as it targets specific traumatic experiences and the symptoms of PTSD. A large body of neuroscience research has found that working at a subcortical level using EMDR is particularly effective for reprocessing traumatic memories. It can be helpful in moving you from a dysregulated state to a regulated state of mind and body.
EMDR is recognised by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), along with trauma-focused CBT, as an empirically supported treatment for PTSD. It is a complex treatment that should only be practiced by qualified and experienced therapists.
What else can EMDR be used for?
As well as trauma and PTSD, EMDR can be used for low self-esteem, anxiety and panic attacks, phobias, shame, stress, depression, sleep problems, addictions, grief, chronic pain or performance anxiety.
For further information about EMDR, see:
- EMDR International https://emdria.site-ym.com
- EMDR UK & Ireland. http://emdrassociation.org.uk/whatis-emdr/
- Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/sep/10/mel-b-is-watching-flashing-lights-to-help-with-trauma-but-does-emdr-therapy-really-work
- BBC audio, iPM: We start with your stories, The finger wagging cure. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04jyv3y
(Please note that I am not responsible for the content of external websites.
Further information on Trauma therapy
You might also find the following helpful:
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing [EMDR] Therapy: Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures by Francine Shapiro.
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel Van Der Kolk.
- Healing Trauma by Peter A. Levine.
- The third wave of trauma treatment. https://www.nicabm.com/rethinking-trauma-the-third-wave-of-trauma-treatment-2/